STAGES - Structural Transformation to Achieve Gender Equality in Science✎
Last modified on 18 February 2016
The STAGES project was conceived with the general aim of leaving the logic of pilot projects behind and launching structural change strategies addressing the many and interconnected layers of the problem of gender inequality in science from an integrated perspective, deeply involving human resources management in research institutions, modifying and gendering its basic tenets.
Under the coordination of the Department for Equal Opportunities of the Italian Presidency of Council of Ministers, and assisted by a research center specialized in gender and science – ASDO, 5 Research Institutes/ Universities from Italy, Germany, Denmark, Romania and the Netherlands are implementing self-tailored action plans including activities such as: awareness-raising initiatives in high level institutional bodies; training modules on gender equality for internal decision-makers; mentoring programmes for young women scientists; actions to enhance the visibility of women scientists; updated management and research assessment standards; course content development; leadership development; work-life balance measures; gender quotas in committees; promotion and retention policies.
More specifically, the project has three main objectives:
- applying different self-tailored action plans aimed at introducing gender-aware management at all levels in each of the participating organisations, representing different kinds of research institutions;
- producing a deeper understanding of the dynamics surrounding structural change efforts by constantly analysing, monitoring and assessing the process activated in each institution, so to start mutual learning practices among partners;
- spreading, among the European universities and research institutes, successful negotiation strategies implemented to build consensus and commitment around structural-level gender-equality initiatives, addressing different leadership levels and the many stakeholders directly or indirectly involved in change.
The STAGES Guidelines - Structural Transformation to Achieve Gender Equality in Science
The guidelines aim at providing new insights about the actual implementation process of gender equality-oriented projects in scientific institutions. Practice-based and written in an accessible way, they look in depth at implementation issues based on experience in five different institutional settings; very useful for people working in scientific organisations and willing to promote programmes or initiatives on and for gender equality in science.
- Dipartimento per i diritti e le pari opportunita, Italy (Project coordinator)
- Università Statale di Milano, Italy
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Germany
- Aarhus Universitet, Denmark
- Universitatea Alexandru Ioan Cuza, Romania
- Radboud Universiteit, The Netherlands
- ASDO Associazione, Italy
Cons. Michele Palma
Dott.Marino Di Nardo
Dipartimento per le Pari Opportunità
Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri
EU contribution: EUR 2.789.759
Funded under: FP7-SCIENCE-IN-SOCIETY-2011-1