LIVING INNOVATION | Implementing RRI through co-creation of smart futures with industry and citizens✎
Last modified on 11 March 2019
Co-creating the way we will live in 2030
LIVING INNOVATION is an initiative started by 14 partners from all over Europe, including, major industry leaders, civil society and research organisations. In this project, we have joined forces to co-create more responsible approaches to innovation in the areas of smart homes and smart health.
The initiative will provide an online platform for discussion, knowledge creation and collaboration on new solutions that are beneficial to society and create new business opportunities. By engaging citizens and lead users in 19 co-creation workshops across five European countries, LIVING INNOVATION strives to co-create the way we will live in 2030 - combining creativity and business acumen, human-centred design and responsibility
About the project
LIVING INNOVATION (LIV_IN) is a new initiative that aims to develop responsible, smart home solutions that tackle societal challenges and respond to pressing societal trends. Uniquely, and for the first time, the initiative involves industry leaders that engage with lead users in co-creation processes to create solutions that meet user needs and leverage collective creativity to uncover new business opportunities.
Funded by the European Commission's Horizon 2020 programme, the project creates two distinct opportunities.
- LIVING INNOVATION gives lead users and citizens the chance to be involved in the design of the technology that will shape their future lives
- LIVING INNOVATION gives industry the possibility to respond directly to changes and needs of users and society.
In doing so, the initiative aims to demonstrate to industry and the public what Responsible Innovation is, and how citizens can be involved in developing innovations. Other industries will also be able take up the outcomes of the project, and use them to tap into human-centered, and user-led responsible innovation. By directly engaging users and by working together, both industry and citizens can benefit from innovation.
About Responsible Innovation
Responsible Innovation aims to better align both the process and outcomes of research and innovation with the values, needs and expectations of society.
Innovative products and services in the areas of smart homes and smart health hold great potential to improve the well-being of people. When done right, such innovations can also help to address societal challenges, such as aging societies, mass migration, and environmental degradation. However, uncertainty is inherent to research, development and innovation activities. The implications of novel products, processes or business models for society and the environment are often difficult to anticipate. Dealing with these uncertainties in a responsible manner is key to staying competitive and bringing innovations to market.
This is where Responsible Innovation can help. Responsible Innovation involves:
- Respecting ethical limitations
- Involving those affected
- Balancing interests
- Anticipating impacts
- Co-designing systems
- Building capacity
For more information, please see here
- Shape your future home
- Become an innovator
- Have your voice heard
- View Video
- Learn from the users
- Co-create with peers
- Uncover new business opportunities
- View Video
- Experience innovation with people for people
- Learn about best practice
- Access tools & information
- View Video
- Co-creation workshops - Creativity is higher, when people from different backgrounds collaborate. Our 20 co-creation workshops in five European countries will engage industry representatives, lead users and citizens at eye level. They will jointly develop solutions that simultaneously satisfy user needs, tackle societal challenges and create new business opportunities. As a workshop participant you will be able to jointly work on solutions in the areas of smart homes and smart health.
- Virtual community - No company can design our future living alone. Therefore we will establish a virtual community for industry and experts in the areas of smart homes, smart health and responsible innovation. Through continuous interaction and relationship building, the community members will mutually develop and share practices, tools, ideas and information.
- New approaches - To innovation for smart future living developed in LIV_IN Labs
- Showcases and Innovation - Blueprints demonstrating the benefits of Responsible Innovation
- Effective tools - And training instruments to support RI integration in industrial contexts
- A flagship project - How Responsible Innovation can be implemented
- WIRTSCHAFTSUNIVERSITAT WIEN, Austria
- DE MONTFORT UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom
- ISTITUTO DI STUDI PER L'INTEGRAZIONE DEI SISTEMI (I.S.I.S) - SOCIETA'COOPERATIVA, Italy
- DIALOGIK GEMEINNUETZIGE GESELLSCHAFT FUER KOMMUNIKATIONS- UND KOOPERATIONSFORSCHUNG mbH, Germany
- STICHTING SMART HOMESNetherlands
- SIEMENS AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT, Germany
- TELEFONICA MOVILES ESPANA SA, Spain
- OTTOBOCK SE & CO. KGAA, Germany
- ATOS SPAIN SA, Spain
- FUNDACION BANCARIA CAIXA D'ESTALVISI PENSIONS DE BARCELONA LA CAIXA, Spain
- SIVECO ROMANIA SA, Romania
- ERICSSON NIKOLA TESLA D.D., Croatia
- INFINEON TECHNOLOGIES AUSTRIA AG, Austria
- COMARCH SA, Poland
- GOPA COM, Belgium