How Open Is It? Open Access Spectrum✎
The HowOpenIsIt?® Open Access Spectrum (OAS) guide standardises open access terminology in an easily understandable, simple resource. The guide defines core components of open access derived from basic tenets in the 2002 Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI).
The goals of the guide are to:
- move the conversation from ‘Is It open access?’ to ‘HowOpenIsIt?®’
- clarify the definition of open access
- standardise terminology
- illustrate a continuum from more to less open, using an OAS grid
- enable people to compare publications and policies
- expand open access understanding to a wider audience
- determine how open a publisher or publication is by using the grid.