#MoreThanCode: Practioners Reimagine the landscape of technology for justice and equity✎
#MoreThanCode is a participatory action research report based on interviews, focus groups, and data analysis with 188 tech practitioners from across the U.S.A. The report explores the current ecosystem and demographics; practitioner experiences; visions and values; documents stories of success and failure; and provides key recommendations for the future of the field. We hope our findings and recommendations will be useful to all those who want to use technology to make a more just and equitable world.
Key recommendations include:
- Nothing About Us Without Us: Adopt Co-Design Methods and Concrete Community Accountability Mechanisms;
- From Silver Bullets to Useful Tools: Change the Narrative, Lead with Values, and Recognize Multiple Frames and Terms Across the Ecosystem;
- #RealDiversityNumbers: Adopt proven strategies for diversity and inclusion;
- Developers, Developers, Developers? Recognize Different Roles and Expertise in Tech Work, and Support Alternative Pathways to Participation;
- Coops, Collectives, and Networks, Oh My! Support Alternative Models Beyond Startups, Government Offices, and Incorporated Nonprofits.